Media training for UBC researchers
UBC Media Relations makes basic media training available to UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan researchers online.
The course is designed specifically to help scholars develop the confidence to engage with media about newsworthy research.
Trainees will learn:
- how to evaluate the likelihood of media interest in a particular research story
- how to distill complex findings into media-friendly messages
- what to expect from various interview formats
- how to prepare for an interview
- how to control the focus of an interview
- when and how to connect with UBC Media Relations to promote findings
You can access the course with a Campus-Wide Login through Canvas Catalog and work through it at your own pace. The course consists of five modules that include exercises, quizzes, videos, and opportunities to ask specific questions of the Media Relations team. It takes approximately 2-5 hours to complete, depending on how much you engage with the optional exercises.