The United Nations climate change conference including the 28th Conference of Parties (COP 28) is just over a week away.
From Nov. 30 until Dec. 12, countries will meet to take stock of their collective progress towards the climate goals, discuss ways to ramp up climate efforts, and hammer out new agreements and targets in a rapidly warming world.
Media are invited to join climate experts as they share the pressing issues up for negotiation this year, including human health, adaptation measures, and the loss and damage fund. The media briefing will be hosted via Zoom prior to an in-person and online event, Unpacking COP 28: A Panel Discussion.
Date/time: Tuesday, Nov. 21, 10 to 11 a.m. online for media briefing. For link, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media are also welcome to attend Unpacking COP 28: A Panel Discussion Tuesday, Nov. 21, 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. either online or in-person at Room 100, Geography Building, 1984 West Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2 (LINK).
Please RSVP to email@example.com.
- 10-10:20 a.m. – Introductions and presentations by Dr. Simon Donner, Dr. Michael Brauer, Jeffrey Qi and Dr. Milind Kandlikar
- 10:20-10:30 a.m. – Joint Q&A
- 10:30-11 a.m. – Individual media opportunities available – please arrange interviews by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3:30-4 p.m. – Introductions and brief presentations
- 4-4:20 p.m. – Moderator questions
- 4:20-4:45 p.m. – Audience questions
- 4:45-5 p.m. – Closing thoughts and farewell
Experts and topics:
Dr. Michael Brauer
Professor, UBC School of Population and Public Health and former COP delegate
- The role that science plays in the COP process, health impacts of a changing climate (note: COP28 will host the first ever Health Day)
Dr. Simon Donner
Professor, Department of Geography and Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability and former COP delegate
- The road to COP 28, key issues, the UBC Climate Solutions Research Collective
Dr. Milind Kandlikar
Professor, School of Public Policy and Global Affairs and Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability
- Climate financing of adaptation and mitigation measures to address climate change
Policy Advisor, International Institute for Sustainable Development’s Resilience Program
- Climate change negotiations, global climate governance, adaptation (Global Goal on Adaptation), the Global Stocktake, loss and damage.
Interview language(s): English (Brauer, Donner, Kandlikar, Qi), Hindi (Kandlikar)