UBC experts are available to comment on the war in Ukraine.
- Economic consequences of the war, implications for global energy markets and international trade
- Gender and migration globally, and especially migration into and out of Russia; refugees and citizenship in Russia and Eastern Europe; daily life, family, and gender in Russia and the former Soviet Union
- Economic and financial impacts of the sanctions placed on Russia
Dr. Florian Gassner
Associate Professor of Teaching, Department of Central, Eastern and Northern European Studies
Tel: 604-822-5165 or 604-228-0477
Interview language(s): English, German
- Former resident of Donetsk, origins and history of war in Ukraine, cultural history of Russian-Ukrainian conflict, Ukrainian language laws
- Implications regarding international norms, including weapons of mass destruction, chemical weapons and nuclear weapons
- Risks and consequences of nuclear weapons use and nuclear reactor accidents
*available 10-11 a.m. and noon-4 p.m. daily, except Thursdays from 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Military operations, international conflict management, political strategy, Canadian foreign policy
- Russian relations with Ukraine and Europe, Russian politics, authoritarianism vs. democracy in Russia