On Tuesday, September 3, UBC will be welcoming 7,000 new students to the university. UBC will also be celebrating the fact it has hit its Blue & Gold Campaign for Students $100-million goal almost a year early. President and Vice-Chancellor, Santa J. Ono will announce an extended fundraising target that will ensure more students receive financial help to enable them to help create a better world.
When: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 2 p.m.
What: 2019 Imagine UBC Pep Rally: 7,000 new first-year students being welcomed by the president and other executives and dignitaries; celebrating the largest fund ever raised for students in UBC’s 104-year history, and extending the goal.
Where: UBC Thunderbird Arena, 6066 Thunderbird Boulevard, Vancouver B.C. V6T 1Z3 (map)
- At 3 p.m., President and Vice-Chancellor, Santa. J. Ono will be available for interviews in the Rugby Pavilion and can talk to the Blue & Gold Campaign for Students in addition to back-to-school
- Available at various times – please request in advance: students positively impacted by the Blue & Gold Campaign
- A packed arena of 7,000 excited first-year students cheering and celebrating their first day of school
- When fundraising announcement made, arena will awash in blue and gold lighting, upbeat music will play, a banner with the total raised to date will be unrolled, confetti canons will be let-off once total is visible
- The new target will be announced/revealed
- President Ono playing a special cello tribute to first-year students
Media meeting point: Enter through the South Entrance of the Arena. Several spots will be marked for media behind the rink board in front of sections 109/110.
Parking: Closest parking is Thunderbird Parkade (map) However, note that the roads around the Sports Centre will be blocked between 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. so if you want to park here, you will need to arrive before 1 p.m. There will be no parking available around the Arena.
If you’re planning on attending, please contact Clare Hamilton-Eddy at UBC Media Relations: