Event: Media availability at Brock Commons, an 18-storey tall wood building, currently under construction at UBC
Date/Time: Thursday, Sept. 15, 10:45 a.m.; Building tour starts approximately 11:30 a.m.
Location: 6088 Walter Gage Road, University of British Columbia
Parking: North Parkade (adjacent to Brock Commons), 6115 Student Union Blvd (map: http://www.maps.ubc.ca/?792)
Details: Brock Commons is an 18-storey student residence under construction at UBC that will be the world’s tallest wood building at 53 metres (about 174 feet) when completed in fall 2017. Media will be able to see the exposed wood structure and interview partners on the project.
- James Gordon Carr, Minister of Natural Resources
- Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
- Rich Coleman, Minister of Natural Gas Development and Minister Responsible for Housing and Deputy Premier
- Andrew Wilkinson, Minister of Advanced Education
- Santa J. Ono, UBC President
- John Metras, Managing Director, Infrastructure Development, UBC
- Russell Acton, Principal, Acton Ostry Architects
- Paul Fast, Partner, Fast + Epp
- Bill Downing, President, Structurlam Products LP
- Ralph Austin, President, Seagate Structures
For more information:
New UBC student residence to be among world’s tallest wood buildings (Oct. 1, 2015 media release)
Photos: UBC News Flickr album
Note to assignment editors: B-roll of the building’s construction will be available.