UBC researchers are available to speak about the latest earthquake to strike Nepal, two weeks after more than 8,000 people died in a devastating quake.
Earthquake Engineering Research Facility
Only available by Skype or email
- Has worked on earthquake risk and response plans for Nepal
- Risk of seismic activity in Nepal
- Earthquake emergency response plan for Kathmandu airport
Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences
- How and why earthquakes happen
- What we can expect in B.C.
- The aftermath of the earthquake
- Landslides and the Nepal earthquake
- How landslides will be a problem for the next few years (each monsoon)
- Current situation in Nepal
- Damage to historic monuments and temples and loss of lives
Sara Shneiderman and Mark Turin have lived and worked in Nepal since the early 1990s and can speak about the social and political situation in Nepal.
- UN & development sector
- Indigenous communities
- Language & culture
- Rural economy