On Feb. 11, UBC will be hosting the Olympic Torch Relay. To celebrate, the UBC 2010 Olympic & Paralympic Secretariat and UBC REC are planning a Night Market/Winter Carnival-inspired event at the Old Bus Loop (corner of University Blvd and East Mall) between 4 and 8 p.m.
Campus groups are invited to host an activity or booth at the celebration. Applications can be found at http://www.webcommunications.ubc.ca/ubc2010/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Torch-Relay-Booth-or-Activity-Application-Final.doc and submitted to Michelle Cheong at firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 15.
Booths or activities must:
• Be run by groups affiliated with UBC (Faculties, Departments, Units, Student clubs or societies, athletic teams, etc). Booths must be staffed by your group at all times.
• Be interactive (i.e. Varsity Hockey Team to host 3 on 3 hockey tournament, Faculty of Arts to create giant mural to be signed by students at event and sent to athletes, ski and snowboard team to host rail jam display).
• Be proposed via the application no later than Jan. 15.
Booths or activities cannot:
• Be selling any items, including good, services, food, alcohol or any other beverage
• Display any kind of Olympic markings, including the Olympic Rings, VANOC logos
• Be sponsored by a corporation or business
At this time, there is no size restriction on booth or activity size. The UBC 2010 Olympic & Paralympic Secretariat and UBC REC will review all applications against the event footprint and create a detailed site map. Tents, tables and chairs will be provided where appropriate.
Groups will be informed of their participation and specific set-up location before the event. The torch route will be not be released until closer to the event date of Feb. 11.
For inquiries, contact Michelle Cheong at email@example.com.