UBC Feature Web Site
Health, Safety and Environment:
UBC This Week is a weekly summary of UBC people in the news, recent media releases and upcoming event highlights. UBC This Week past issues are also available on-line.
Sign up for UBC This Week and other UBC Public Affairs e-mail services at www.publicaffairs.ubc.ca/eservices.
- Dec. 11: Women’s Magazines Downplay Emotional Health Risks of Cosmetic Surgery: UBC Study
- Dec. 10: UBC Researchers Discover Gene Mutation that Causes Eye Cancer
- Dec. 9: UBC Co-Hosted China Meeting of University Presidents to Increase Collaboration
- Dec. 12: Random Thoughts on an Academic Sojourn
- Dec. 15: Post-Graduation Work Permit Info Session
- Dec. 17: Graduate Student Presentation Skills Workshop
- Dec. 18: International House Christmas Dinner
- Dec. 18: Clarinet Masterclass with Yehuda Gilad
- UBC Land & Building Services receives Canada’s 8th Annual Healthy Workplace Award
- UBC professor awarded mathematics prize
- UBC team advances to international programming finals
- Dean Murray Isman re-appointed
- Leadership of Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- 2008 UBC annual report feedback winner announced
UBC Land and Building Services has received Canada’s 8th Annual Healthy Workplace Award for their work in developing programs designed to improve the health and well-being of UBC employees.
UBC Land and Building Services competed with more than 300 companies across Canada ranking ahead of TELUS, Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital and BC Hydro.
For more information, visit www.healthyworkplacemonth.ca.
UBC mathematician Prof. Martin Barlow has been awarded the 2009 CRM-Fields-PIMS Prize. The $10,000 prize was presented by the Centre de recherches mathematiques, the Fields Institute and the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences.
Barlow is a leading expert in probability and diffusion on fractals and other disordered media.
For more information, visit www.science.ubc.ca/news/232.
UBC will advance once again to the finals of the International Collegiate Programming Contest. The UBC team was awarded the wildcard spot based on their strong fourth-place finish in the Pacific Northwest Region competition.
Computer Science students Christopher Head, Robert Tseng and Simon Suyadi along with graduate student coaches Anton Likhtarov and Patrick Nguyen will head to Stockholm for the finals in April 2009. This marks the sixth straight year UBC has advanced to the world finals.
For more information, visit www.science.ubc.ca/news/233.
The Board of Governors has approved the reappointment of Dr. Murray Isman as Dean of the Faculty of Land and Food Systems for a second term, to June 30, 2014.
The Board of Governors has approved an extension to the appointment of Dr. Robert Sindelar as Dean of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences until August 31, 2010.
Following the Nov. 28, 2008 deadline to provide feedback on the online version of the UBC annual report, undergraduate student Evan Woo was randomly selected as the recipient of the Apple 16GB iPod Touch giveaway. Woo is a first year student in the Faculty of Science’s Coordinated Sciences program.
Entitled Not ME.WE., the online annual report and archived UBC annual general meeting (AGM) webcast can still be viewed on the Public Affairs website: www.ubc.ca/annualreport.