UBC Feature Web Site
UBC This Week is a weekly summary of UBC people in the news, recent media releases and upcoming event highlights. UBC This Week past issues are also available on-line.
Sign up for UBC This Week and other UBC Public Affairs e-mail services at www.publicaffairs.ubc.ca/eservices.
- Dec. 13: UBC reaps $15.5m in research funding through Canada Research Chairs program
- Dec. 11: UBC Law Faculty receives $1 million gift from Davis LLP and Irwin Davis
- Dec. 7: Rooming-in with mum eases transition for drug-exposed newborns?
- Dec. 7: UBC-United Nations online urban sustainability archive receives anonymous donation
- Dec. 13-16: Strauss Die Fledermaus – UBC Opera Ensemble & West Coast Symphony
- Dec. 18: Christmas Songwave 2007 – BC Boys’ Choir
- Until Dec. 31: Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas – Meddling in the Museum, Museum of Anthropology
- Dec. 21 & 22: Vivaldi’s Four Seasons – Vancouver Symphony Orchestra at UBC’s Chan Centre
UBC Materials Engineering Prof. Matthias Militzer received the 2007 Dofasco Award for his work in experimental simulation and modeling in the field of materials engineering. The award is administered by the Metallurgical Society Metallurgists.
UBC Mechanical Engineering Prof. Clarence de Silva will receive an honorary Doctor of Engineering at the University of Waterloo’s Spring Convocation ceremony in 2008. This is in recognition of his contributions in the fields of control, robotics, automation and mechatronics.
For more information, visit www.metsoc.org/Awards/metsoc_awards.asp.
Thanks to contributions by staff, faculty and students, UBC Vancouver’s campaign team has raised more than 80 per cent of its $415,000 target and hopes to increase participation to 900 employee donors. UBC Okanagan has raised more than 120 per cent of its $35,000 goal.
Donation pledge forms will be accepted until the end of the tax year, Dec. 31. Individuals and departments can also host fundraising events or presentations by campaign volunteers to increase awareness of UBC’s connections with United Way and its network of more than 150 agencies and support services.
For more information on how UBC research is enriching United Way initiatives, visit
For more information on the campaign, visit www.unitedway.ubc.ca or call UBC Vancouver
Campaign Coordinator Allison Brownlee at 604.822.8929 or UBC Okanagan Campaign Coordinator Elizabeth Kershaw at 250.807.8436.