UBC Reports | Vol.
51 | No. 1 | Jan.
Main Library Under Construction
By Chris Hives, University Archives
Designed by the architectural firm of Sharp & Thompson,
the Library was one of the three original permanent buildings
on the Point Grey campus. The Library's granite facing stones
were quarried on Nelson Island in Pender Harbour and barged
to the foot of the Point Grey cliffs. From there they were
hauled to the building site using an aerial tramway and light
railway system. Two wings (1948, 1960) were added to the original
Currently the site of extensive construction and renovation
activity, the Main Library is being transformed into the Irving
K. Barber Learning Centre. The project will result in the
removal of the building’s two additions and a new structure
will wrap around three sides of the original Library building.
Opening of the new Barber Learning Centre is scheduled for