UBC Reports | Vol.
51 | No. 4 |
Apr. 7, 2005
Brock Hall, Then & Now
By Chris Hives, University Archives
On March 21, UBC opened the newly renovated Welcome Centre
at Brock Hall, an important part of UBC’s student community
throughout the years.
With its completion in 1940, Brock Memorial Hall became
one of the three campus structures for which the students
provided funding. The others were the original gymnasium (1929)
and the stadium (1937). Fundraising began in 1936 for the
original student union building named as a memorial to Dean
and Mrs. R.W. Brock.
The burden of financing the stadium proved too much for
the students and it was two years before they again turned
their attention to raising funds for the new student union
building. The campaign resumed in 1938 and a generous grant
from the Board of Governors allowed construction to proceed
on a site near the Gymnasium and the Library on East Mall.
At the opening of Brock Hall in January 1940, President Leonard
Klinck commended the students for their effort, observing
that "this building is sufficient proof that the spirit
of adventure, enterprise and creative initiative is not lacking
among the undergraduate body of the University."