UBC Reports | Vol. 49 | No. 4 | Apr.
Meet UBCs Top Scholars
By Hilary Thomson
Twenty students have been named Wesbrook Scholars for outstanding
achievement among undergraduates.
Among them are a Rhodes scholar, three triathletes, pianists,
dancers, national level sports competitors in water polo and
synchronized swimming, and volunteers who support fellow students
through mentorship and peer counselling and serve the community
by working with special needs children, disabled adults and
at Vancouvers Downtown Eastside daycare centers and
health clinics. Already active in global citizenship, they
participate in initiatives such as Amnesty International and
the Youth Millennium Project that engages youth around the
world to develop community projects.
The students, whose hometowns range from Comox, B.C. to Port
Dickson, Malaysia, have participated in academic adventures
in Guyana, South America, Vanuatu in the South Pacific, the
United Kingdom, Japan and Costa Rica. They are preparing for
careers that include neurosurgery, law, environmental consulting,
biochemistry research and specialized dentistry.
Wesbrook scholars must rank in the top 10 per cent of their
class and possess the ability to serve, work with and lead
other people. An honorary designation, Wesbrook Scholars are
nominated by their faculty or school and selected by a committee.
The awards are sponsored by the Wesbrook Society, an organization
of the universitys major benefactors.
This years Wesbrook scholars are:
- Arts: Carly Linda Buchanan; Sara Liane Irvine;
Isabel Anne Moore; Yaa-Hemaa Obiri-Yeboah;
- Dentistry: Lucien Jules Bellamy;
- Education: Anne Michelle Harris;
- Law: Amy Jennifer Davison; Michael Andre Feder;
Chelsea Dawn Wilson; Laura Catherine Zumpano;
- Medicine: Keri Lyn Closson; Adrienne Christine
- Science: Rebecca Jane Best; Marvin Min-Yen Hsiao;
The following scholarship recipients are also designated
as Wesbrook Scholars:
- Ambrose Hon Wai Wong: Harry Logan Memorial Scholarship
and Harold B. & Nellie Boyes Memorial Scholarship;
- Siu Kae Yeong: Sherwood Lett Memorial Scholarship;
- Alicia Joan Miller: C.K. Choi Scholarship;
- Melanie Vanessa Bejzyk: Amy E. Sauder Scholarship
and Jean Craig Smith Scholarship;
- Rachel Anne Wiebe: John H. Mitchell Memorial Scholarship.