UBC Reports | Vol. 48 | No. 12 | Oct.
UBC Alumni Association
8th Annual Alumni Achievement Award Dinner
November 14, 2002
Fairmont, Waterfront Hotel
Call 604.822.3313 or visit www.alumni.ubc.ca/events/aadinner.html
The Annual Alumni Dinner was a Fall tradition in Vancouver
from the early 1920s until the changing times of the 60s
brought them to an end. The Commodore Ballroom on Granville
Street was the venue of choice, and grads can tell stories
of meeting future wives and husbands at the dance.
The modern day series of annual dinners began in 1995 with
the first Alumni Achievement Dinner at the Vancouver Hotel.
This years dinner will be held at the Fairmont, Waterfront,
and will honour UBC grads and friends who have achieved great
things at this university and in the community.
Join us in illuminating achievement at this years
This years award winners are:
- Victor Ling, PhD69, Alumni Award for Research
- Roy MacLaren, BA55, Alumni Award of Distinction
- Haig Farris, BA60, LLD97, Blythe Eagles Volunteer
- Susan R. Harris, Faculty Citation
- Wallace Chung, DSc94, Honorary Alumnus Award
- Martha C. Piper, Honorary Alumnus Award
- Garde B. Gardom, QC, BA49, LLB49, LLD02,
Lifetime Achievement Award
- Miranda Lam, LLB02, Outstanding Student Award
- Janice J. Eng, BSR85, Outstanding Young Alumnus
Victor Ling, PhD69
Dr. Ling is an international star in medical research. He
was part of the team, with Michael Smith and Fred Sanger,
that pioneered a method for rapidly sequencing DNA, leading
to the human genome project and breakthroughs in genetic therapies.
His current research focusses on molecular mechanisms that
render chemotherapy ineffective. He is assistant dean, Cancer
Research, in the Faculty of Medicine, and a professor in the
departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Pathology
and Laboratory Medicine.