Ten UBC alumni are among the 25 appointees to the Order of British Columbia for 2014 announced last week. The Order of British Columbia recognizes British Columbians who have contributed to the province in extraordinary ways. The investiture ceremony will be held for recipients and invited guests at Government House in Victoria on Nov. 6, 2014.
• Peter Bentley, Hon. LLD 1992 – forest industry executive and community leader.
• John A. Cairns, MD 1968 – heart disease researcher and educator.
• William L. Clifford, BSc 1977 – physician and health information technology pioneer.
• Douglas Coupland, Hon. DLitt 2010 – writer, designer, visual artist and global change-maker.
• James C. Hogg, DSc 2010 – lung disease researcher and educator.
• V. Jane Hungerford, BEd 1967, former chair of the UBC Alumni Association and recipient of the 2011 Alumni UBC Volunteer Leadership Award – volunteer, fundraiser and community leader.
• The Honourable Leonard S. Marchand, BSc 1958 – Parliamentarian and advocate for justice for First Nations.
• Rudolph E. North, BComm 1963 – philanthropist, humanitarian and business leader.
• David R. Podmore, BA 1972 – industry and community leader.
• Lorne R. Segal, BA 1977 – community philanthropist and business leader.
Learn more about the recipients and their contributions here.