The University of British Columbia’s start an evolution campaign crossed the $1 billion mark and is now two-thirds of the way toward its fundraising and alumni engagement targets – to raise $1.5 billion and to involve 50,000 alumni annually in the life of the university by 2015.
“I am deeply grateful to our alumni and donor community for their overwhelming support in this campaign,” says President Stephen Toope. “Their generosity and involvement is providing more student aid, improving learning environments, and extending the impact of research and community engagement. With their help, UBC can really be a catalyst for change and transformation.”
Funds raised through start an evolution provide resources to enhance aspects of university life that are not covered by government funding.
This campaign – the largest of its kind in Canadian history – has benefited from projects as diverse as the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health, the Audain Art Centre, the HSBC Bank Canada support of educational initiatives in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, and the Reichwald Health Sciences Centre at UBC’s Okanagan campus, supporting the training of doctors for communities in the BC Interior.
“I am thankful to the donors, alumni and everyone who has helped move the campaign forward,” said alumnus Robert Lee, chairman of the Prospero group of companies and honorary chair of start an evolution. Lee, who earned a Bachelor of Commerce from UBC in 1956 and a Doctor of Laws from UBC in 1996 said: “I am eager to build on this momentum as we raise another $500 million and close in on our alumni engagement goal.”
The campaign features hundreds of specific opportunities for involvement and investment at www.startanevolution.ubc.ca
The start an evolution campaign
In September 2011, the University of British Columbia launched the most ambitious fundraising and alumni engagement campaign in Canadian history. UBC’s start an evolution campaign has twin goals:
- to raise $1.5 billion in donations; and
- to double the number of alumni who are actively involved in the life of the University to 50,000 annually by 2015.
Funds raised will go to support everything from vital research to student scholarships, pioneering programs and infrastructure projects.
- $1.03 billion has been raised for the start an evolution campaign so far (represents 69% towards $1.5 billion goal).
- More than 138,000 gifts have been made to the campaign.
- Of which 90,000 gifts have come from UBC alumni.
- In the past year, over 38,000 alumni have been involved in some way with the life of the university (76% of goal).
- Alumni are involved in everything from student mentoring to attending events to signing up for UBC Alumni Association communications, products and services.
For more information about the start an evolution campaign, please go to startanevolution.ca