The Killam Faculty Research Fellowships are awarded to assist promising faculty members, who wish to devote full time to research and study in their field during a recognized study leave. The 2011 awardees are:
• Keith Adams, Botany
• Hugh Davies, School of Population and Public Health
• Leonard Foster, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
• Gaston Gordillo, Anthropology
• Mark Jellinek, Earth & Ocean Sciences
• David Jones, Physics and Astronomy
• Steve Morgan, Centre for Health Services and Policy Research
• Edward Slingerland, Asian Studies
• Sabrina Wong, Nursing, School of Population and Public Health
• Nicholas Coops, Forest Resources Management
The Killam Research Prizes are awarded to full-time faculty members in recognition of outstanding research and scholarly contributions.
Arts, Humanities, Business, Education – Junior Category
• Neil Safier, History
• Jessica Tracy, Psychology
Arts, Humanities, Business, Education – Senior Category
• Barbara Dancygier, English
• Dominic Lopes, Philosophy
Science, Applied Science, Forestry – Junior Category
• Mark MacLachan, Chemistry
Science, Applied Science, Forestry – Senior Category
• Nemkumar Banthia, Civil Engineering
• Randy Gascoyne, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
• David Huntsman, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
• Victor Leung, Electrical and Computer Engineering
The Jacob Biely Research Prize is awarded to an active faculty researcher for a distinguished record of published research. The Biely Prize is considered UBC’s premier research honour.
• Julio Montaner, Medicine
The Charles A. McDowell Award for Excellence in Research is presented to an outstanding young faculty member who has demonstrated excellence in pure or applied scientific research.
• Wolfgang Heidrich, Computer Science
The President’s Award for Public Education through Media is presented to a faculty member who has demonstrated outstanding service to the University and the community by sharing research expertise via the news media.
• Alfred Hermida, School of Journalism
For more information on Faculty of Medicine winners, visit: http://www.med.ubc.ca/about_us/Awards_and_Honours/2011_UBC_Faculty_Research_Awards.htm
For more information on Computer Science winner, Wolfgang Heindrich, visit: https://www.cs.ubc.ca/news/2012/01/wolfgang-heidrich-receives-charles-mcdowell-award
Winners will be recognized at the Celebrate Research Awards Gala on March 8, 2012.